Thursday, March 04, 2010

We live in a world where we are said to have freedom; freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom of choice, countless freedoms  that let us decide who we are, who we can become. Everyday I have freedom of choice; freedom to choose what I wear- to choose between the thirty t-shirts or sweatshirts I have; freedom to choose what I drink-a small coffee or a large caramel macchiato; freedom to choose what I do, where I go, what I read; I face a million little choices everyday, choices that I take for granted.
Somewhere someone doesn't have those choices.  They face a reality far off than mine and are faced with choices far different than mine. Faced with the choice of drinking dirty pond water, infested with bacteria, or drinking nothing at all; the choice of whether to go to bed hungry or sell themselves for food; the choice of blue dress or blue dress; the choice of walking once for 3 hours to get water, or walking twice for 6 hours to get more water.
Clearly this is not freedom and these choices are not choices at all.

Choice has always been a privilege of those who could afford to pay for it.  
-Ellen Frankfort

No comments: